Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Current Song Obsession: Silverchair's "Straight Lines"

So how many of us remember who Silverchair are?? Anyone? Anyone at all? Since I stopped listening to WEBN, I can honestly say that I've only maybe heard their 1 memorable, major American song once or twice. For those of you not remembering it, here's Silverchair's "Tomorrow:"


~~~THIS SONG IS NOT MY CURRENT OBSESSION!~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~THIS ONE MOSTLY SUCKS~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yup, despite the fact that it was a HUGE hit in 1995 (feel old now,) personally I don't think that it's aged very well. It plays out like a bunch of 15 year olds trying to copy Nirvana which was pretty much exactly what it was.

I guess because I've always sort of labeled them as pretty derivative, their new album (Young Modern) comes as a bona fide surprise to me. It's pretty experimental stuff really. Sort of glam-rock-ish, sort of post-grunge, a little Coldplay mixed in. But what's interesting about it though is that for a group that used to sound like a harder-edged Hanson, this is a real paradigm shift forward in their music.

The entire album is streaming here and if you have a little while to sit and take it in, I highly recommend it.

On the other hand, if you'd just like a little taste of their new stuff, here's the video for "Straight Lines:"



I guess its been out for a little while now, but the cd just came out in the U.S. on July 27. It's good.

If you DO take time to listen to it, please take a minute or two to tell me what you thought of it here in the comments.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Any band that makes it into the Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie soundtrack is OK in my book.